Welcome to Wildlife TV/ Denbury Farm Forum

Where you can post about wildlife, webcams on Wildlife TV, ask each other questions and keep in touch with other forum users. As with the last forum we have no rules on your postings, we want it to be a friendly place, so no politics or religion unless it is to do with subjects that relate to wildlife. Please do not use the Forum to make contact about holiday bookings.

PLEASE SEND YOUR PHOTOGRAGHS To info@denburyfarm.co.uk

27,428 replies on “Welcome to Wildlife TV/ Denbury Farm Forum”

Loch of the Lowes Diary

Posted in Diary 2016 | Tagged Events, EVS, Loch of the Lowes, Malta, Scottish Wildlife Trust, Talks |

One gone…. four to go!

We can now confirm that the female Osprey (LF15) has left Loch of the Lowes and started her journey towards Africa. She left on Saturday morning, when the wind decreased and the weather improved.

Meanwhile the young ones are still practising fishing, so far without success. The male (LM12) is still bringing in fish to the nest, even though now it’s less and less, trying to force the young ones to fish more.

We are now expecting the young ones to start to leave and eventually the male to leave the site and head south. So why not come here and see them live before they head off on their extraordinary journey?

Chris Cachia Zammit

Awwww this is good and sad news about the female osprey ! Hoping we will see her next year !

LF15 – our beautiful female osprey
Posted on August 13, 2016 by jonathan
While it is still too soon to say for certain, it would appear our female osprey, LF15, has headed off on migration.

There has been no sign of her all day while all three juveniles and the male have been clear to see, either perched in their favourite trees or on the nest. Last year she flew away on 7th August so her departure is not unexpected.

Females are the first of the family to leave, having completed their job of laying eggs and incubating and protecting their young until they can fly. Ever since her chicks fledged (took their first flight) LF15 has been more aloof, preferring to perch in a tree on the side of the loch and fishing for herself. She has been building up her muscles and strength in preparation for the arduous journey south.

The recent blustery winds may have kept her here longer than usual but this morning there was barely a breeze ruffling the surface of the loch.

Has she left us? Only time will tell. If she has, we wish her a safe, smooth migration and look forward with heartfelt wishes to her return next Spring.

Cherry

Jenny x

another sign autumn on its way, still see the occasional swallow or martin, some baby ones were gathering on a neighbours roof the other day πŸ™‚ but only a rare glimpse of 1 or 2 swifts flying high migrating, our high street is silent πŸ™

I know it don’t take much to confuse me these days but….. I’m confused…. thought I would catch up with the facebook page so searched for Denbury Farm and there’s 2 pages, one has 61 likes and the other has 26 likes and they have different comments but the same cover picture, which is the one that is active and up to date please……

This has been my first experience of seeing such owl events and It has been an education watching these barn owls raise their young and a thorough enjoyment, many thanks to all concerned, Denbury Farm and The Barn Owl Trust you are doing a grand job, well done, you are congratulated, I most definitely care about your work.

No owl in box this morning so guess they’ve had enough as well, no osprey, summer def over, don’t know if will come back, but who cares !!

Oh well summer is over the swifts have gone back to Africa and the skies have fallen silent again, hate this time of year, but will look forward to next May when they will hopefully return in large numbers again.

Hello Jenny and Jan,
It’s been really nice you two have been keeping in touch but is this really the place to carry on with your personal messages which I get a copy of every time you message each other as I think so does every other ‘member’ of this forum.

Irene

We both go back years on the Forum and I mean years when there were quite a few of us messaging and commenting about the animals at Denbury Farm on the Forum but sadly since Denbury Farm joined Facebook the Forum has been a lot quieter as some of our friends also post on there !

Jenny

Well summed up Jenny, they were very good times and laughs, still wonder what has become of Robin he made some brilliant comments, miss seeing the horses in the field and wonder what happened to Thornton and Ewey the sheep, the first thing I remember watching was the birth of one of the horses, it was so good πŸ™‚ cant remember how many years this has been going now, thanks to Mr Farmer πŸ™‚

That would make more sense if they don’t have a kitchen or bathroom at the moment, hope you still have a lovely weekend and get some nice weather to go out and about πŸ™‚ Jan(herts) x

Hi Jan We met up and went to Polesdon Lacey (NT) and every Sunday they have live Jazz playing in the open air and we all have picnics wine etc it is brilliant there and we try to go every Sunday (subject to the weather) !!!! We are hopefully going to the girls one day over the coming weekend for a BBQ depending on the weather – so fingers crossed ! Hope you are all ok ? We are child free for a while as they are all on holiday for the next couple of weeks -a break for us !!! Jenny x

Hi Jenny, sounds like you had a very good time, at least the weather wasn’t too bad here and we got out over the weekend. I was dog sitting for my daughter on Monday and looking after my grandson yesterday, today I have a day off πŸ™‚ I think I have 3 weeks off in a couple of weeks time, but I only look after him once or twice a week depending on when my son has his days off as he is in retail it changes a lot.
I hope the weather stays nice for this Sunday as hubby is going to a classic motorbike show/ meeting in the high street and they don’t take their bikes in the rain πŸ™‚
Enjoy your child free break πŸ™‚
jan(herts)

I only saw one owlet yesterday and there is still only one this morning- has anyone seen the other one in the last day? I haven’t been watching constantly, but am hoping it hasn’t fallen out. When would the oldest be expected to fledge?

Hello Christina
I am no expert but, to answer your ‘Q’ in my simple understanding.

a.Both owlets in nest box late evening 17th and early hours this morning 18th with prey.
b. Fledge starts 9 to 10 weeks from hatch and 11 to 12 weeks should venture away.

Thank you- feel a little relieved. I must keep missing the other one- still haven’t seen her!

Diary updated

To see our Barn Owl webcams please go to WildlifeTV and click the Barn Owl photo for Barncam or Nestcam. Wildlife TV kindly provides the cameras and images free to the Trust.

July 2016

20th – only one owlet appears to be in the nestbox today although at 9 and a half weeks of age the eldest could easily be roosting on the beams in the barn.

As I am awake quite a few times thro the night, I always have quick look at nest cam. What a joy to see these birds jumping in and out of the box. Then popping back in for safety, and eating their meal. Their looks and actions are so mesmerising, I spend ages just watching them. Hope when they do fledge and go into the wide world, they are safe and strong. J.

Jan hope you are ok ? Not been over your way much as the girls are having extentions to their cottage and an additional bedroom – so no bed at the inn for us at the moment !!!! Just been looking at the ospreys nest and it appears that the final one fledged yesterday ! and they expect Mum to migrate pretty soon too ! The only owl left in the box has been standing with it’s wings flapping probably for some air ! It is roasting here today already 32C and going higher !

Love Jenny xxx

Jenny, Sorry July 13 post is not me, was another Jan, no (herts), I haven’t seen the owls for a while as I’ve been busy doing things and not on computer as much, I look after my grandson quite a bit as well πŸ™‚ I have missed the osprey’s completely this year too. It is very warm here too, too hot for me I’m afraid πŸ™‚ hope you and John are well and get to your daughter’s soon, we have red kites and buzzards flying overhead most days now, and now I’ve started driving again I nip to Pearce’s farmshop on the A10 at Puckeridge and sit with a coffee outside their shop watching them too, they are so stunning πŸ™‚

Oooops Jan thought it was you !!! We are going to see the girls next weekend but not sure which day yet and if the weather is good then for a BBQ or otherwise a pub as they have no kitchen at the moment or bathroom !!!! What a shame you have missed the osprey this year but needs must looking after your grandchild ! just like we have done but thankfully only collect him from school two days a week now so life for us is a bit easier – We have had him since he was nine months old and he will be 9 years old in September !!!!!! lets just say they keep you on your toes !!!! Really don’t know Puckeridge but defo know the A10 ! We sometimes go to the Garden Centre just outside Ware where they have a miniature train for children Sam loved that when we took him there a couple of years ago !
Keep well and pleased to hear you are driving again !

The female osprey will soon migrate and then leave Dad to teach the youngsters !

love Jenny x

That’s ok Jenny πŸ™‚
Know what its like with the kitchen and bathroom being done, my daughter has just moved onto the same estate we are on and 2 weeks ago they were in the same situation, no bathroom so had her visiting every morning for nearly a fortnight, they are having their kitchen fitted in the next couple of weeks and I’m having mine done in September haha its all go πŸ™‚ my grandson is 20 months now I’ve had him for nearly a year, it varies between 1 or 3 days a week only for 4 or 5 hours depending on what hours his mum is doing πŸ™‚ The garden centre you went to is Van Hauges, its very nice we sometimes go there, Pearce’s is the other direction towards Buntingford, their restaurant is lovely if not a little pricey, lovely Sunday lunches πŸ™‚ they have a very well stocked farm shop and have PYO strawberries and raspberries, very yummy. Hope the weather stays good for your visit πŸ™‚ x

Ah well, it was bound to happen! Now both owlets have managed to ‘navigate’ outside the nest box and all we can see is their ‘behinds’, we won’t see them fledge due to no Branham, such a shame. Will look forward to next year now.

Hi Kate,Although I know the Barn Owl Trust appreciate any much needed donations that are given to the Barn Owl Trust the cameras and sundry items are supplied by me free of any charge, as is the very high cost of broadcasting the web cams. The reason for the Barn Cam not working is solely for the welfare of the Barn Owls and their Chicks whose nesting will be disturbed at this critical time. The camera will be replaced as soon as possible taking in consideration only the welfare of the Barn Owls.

Barn Owl nests are legally protected. It is an offence to do anything that may disturb a Barn Owl nest.

Thank you Mr Farmer
Oh dear, what an unfortunate misunderstanding at BOT, as that had always been my impression , that you have ALWAYS, been the generous provider of the cams and broadcasting of not only the owls, but all your other wonderful cams on WTV and around your Farm,I wonder if the donations that many have given to the Barn owl trust specifically with the intention of upgrading the Owl cams,will indeed be directed to you.

Also thank you for advising once again on the Legal protection,of which I am fully aware but can so easily be misunderstood by any casual nest follower.

You are indeed appreciated.
Kate.

Hello again
I posted link earlier to the Owl Diary that showed link for donating to assist with costs involved, in replacing Web cams , as they have been very disjointed this year, and as always, even with everyone’s good will, they have been unable to rectify the problems, BUT the Donation LINK has mysteriously been removed from the Diary entry.
Kind regards
Kate

The Barn Owl web cam is located in a remote location in Cornwall with a very low internet speed that may be the problem. You could also turn off your router

? Thanks for the reminder about location of web cam, but I don’t believe that is any problem , if I turn off my router I won’t receive any signal at all? The change I have seen is that in top right corner of screen it now says ‘Denbury Farm’ and no option to make screen larger along bottom and no option to refresh in middle of screen, only through my own browser and where that causes a ‘little’ problem is that if I want to watch the ‘action’ during ‘refreshing’ I miss what has happened. Though really none of this is any problem at all as I thoroughly enjoy what
I can, and do see of the owlets and adult birds, sheer, delight!

Yes it dies Denbury Farm on screen, but I can still enlarge if I want to. I still worry about the smaller one.

Hello all
I watch Cornish Owls regularly and this Season has seen an unfortunate amount of problems with the Cams, we have also lost the Barn Cam completely, and as you see from the Diary at ringing they were unable to fix, and desperately need donations, to try and upgrade Cams. see their diary request.
http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/barn-owl-facts/barn-owl-cams/owl-cam/nestcam-diary-2016/
I do not comment regularly here but do silently surf, so thank you to everyone.
Kate

No 1 owlet is stretching its wings.

Last night when I looked in only the smaller owl was there. A minute of so late the first one appeared at the entrance and flew in!! Let’s hope the smaller one follows soon!!

We seem to have some new members on the forum which is nice. I don’t come on very often now but always keep in touch with the webcams, especially the lovely Meerkats. Good to see the owls have managed to keep two babies. Hope all of you are keeping in good health.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *